A new study of 5666 healthy Americans released by the American Professional Sleep Society today revealed that getting less than 6 hours of sleep a night puts a person 4X at risk for a stroke. A stroke happens when there is decrease blood flow to the brain. Strokes are the 4th leading cause of deaths in the US. Our bodies regenerate and renew itself when we sleep so it’s important for our overall health to get a good night of ZZZZZZs.
It still amazes me that so many people have trouble sleeping. It’s like we are all type A personality people driven to take advantage of every waking moment. A few years ago I read a very extensive book on the topic of light and sleep Lights Out by T.S. Wiley. Since the invention of electricity we are able to stay up later. Prior to that people used candles and kerosene lamps which provided minimal light. Now we can stay up all night if we like listening to music, surfing the net, watching tv, etc.
Here’s a few tips to getting a better night sleep:
- get up when the sun comes up (the book explains more in detail)
- practice 10-15 meditation each day ( a time to quiet your mind, no thoughts, just focus on your breathing)
- do not eat, drink or exercise 2 hours before bedtime
- 1 hour prior to sleep turn everything off and dim the lights (you can light a candle if you want)
- listen to white noise or relaxing music
(Golana, he is one of my favorites)
Pleasant dreams ………..