Increase Your Metabolism
The best resource I have found for information on boosting your metabolism comes from the book
Flip the Switch by Robert K. Cooper. Below is a summary:
Click on book for more info
1. Eat the proper foods –high fiber, whole grains, lean meats, low sugar, low salt, low fat
2. Eating frequently , 3 meals, esp. breakfast, 2 snacks
3. Slow down your eating, digestion begins in the mouth
- Put your fork down after each bite
- Take at least 20 minutes to eat
- Seek healthy foods that stimulate your sight, smell and taste
4. Add hot spices to your diet like cayenne pepper, jalepeno, scotch bonnet peppers
5. Add vinegar to your diet, apple cider vinegar is great
6. Sip cool or ice water
7. Expose yourself to the sun as early in the day as possible
8. Sleep well
- Cool room
- Establish a routine
- Don’t go to bed hungry – protein snack –turkey, low carb yogurt, cottage cheese
- 15-20 min stretching & flexibility
- Human Growth Hormone is secreted 1hr after falling asleep
- Critical healing period is between 12MN-3am
9. Green Tea—increases metabolism by 35%
- Drink one cup before each meal
10. Breathe deeply—increases oxygen
11. Protein shakes—protein increases glucagon, will burn 40% more than with carbs alone
*Try Balance Complete
12. Eat protein at every meal.
13. Eat starches early in the day—Insulin has a circadian rhythm, peaks early in the day
14. Fish oil—improves efficiency of Leptin
15. Do not skip meals – increases Ghrelin, a hormone which creates a voracious appetite
16. Pay attention to when your body needs a break during the day i.e. get up and move around or stretch
17. Have your biggest meal at lunchtime
18. Have an early dinner around 5:30pm or 6pm. The later the dinner the less caloric intake you should have.
19. Limit each meal to no more than 600 calories.
20. Get moving
*Exercise builds muscle and muscle burns fat
- 20 min aerobic activity 3-4X week
- Muscle tone-ups anytime throughout the day
- Core strength training for Abs & legs twice a week,
- Upper body strength twice a week
- Balance & Flexibility twice a week
21. Physical activity 30 min after eating while digestion is still taking place will burn Carbs that otherwise will be stored.
- Take the stairs, park farther away, stretch or walk during lunch
- Pushups within an hour of getting up or go up and and down stairs or deep knee bends. Best if done before breakfast.
- Fat will be used as fuel vs. Glucagon which is stored in the liver.
22. Manage Stress – stress depletes your reserve of Dopamine and Serotonin
23. Proper vitamin and mineral intake
24. Drink plenty of water
Burn It Up